I wanted to share a project with you that I worked on this week for a creative challenge. The challenge is called “Triple Trouble” and is designed to inspire participants to use three elements; corrugated paper, lace, and metal. I haven’t been brave enough to post or enter any of my projects online, except on my own site and Facebook page. This whole thing has been a totally new adventure! Mixed media is new to me as I am primarily a paper crafter. For me, it’s all about the pretty paper! I enjoy making cards, photo page layouts, and interactive mini books. I have also tried a few altered projects – involving paper. Well, I did use a little paper on this project but it ended up with mostly the three elements specified. I sure did have a lot of fun playing with some new art supplies! I have to confess that I have long had an affection for art supplies and have bought many over the years. I rarely end up using them though… and if I do, I never finish an actual project.
You can find the details of the challenge here at the Creative Carte Blanche site and look at the work that participants submitted. The challenge ends at the end of March so it is too late to submit something yourself. I encourage you to try using the three materials, though, and see what you get. Send me your pics! I know I am looking forward to doing this again. I feel very fortunate to have come across the Creative Carte Blanche community. To quote their Facebook page, “This is a place to nourish your creativity, test your self imposed limits, and find your own unique artistic voice.” It is a positive and supportive community that is encouraging people to try new things in their projects. I know I enjoyed stepping out for this one. I decided late to try the challenge and I swore to myself that I would finish the project and post it by the end of the month. I’m just under the wire!
I started out with a cardboard flap that I pulled off a box. I ripped away part of the top layer to expose the corrugation underneath. Some design paper (that I thought looked like old wallpaper) was glued on and wrinkled a bit. Then I added Distress Inks and some gold Wink of Stella on the wrinkly parts for added interest. I really tore at the cardboard to rough it up a lot.
I made a half flower sort of thing coming out from under the corrugation with some old specialty paper that had been stitched. I had a similar type of paper that had a gold rose embossed on it so I inked that up and tucked it under the cardboard too. I really didn’t have too much of an overall plan aside from placing an old family photo on the design paper area. I hadn’t even picked the photo at this point. I just wanted to play and try some things to see what would happen. It was really fun! I did make a big mistake with using the Texture Luxe with a stencil on the upper right. I used a spatula to spread the product but quite a bit seeped under the stencil. I just messed it up a bit more and moved on. Unfortunately I did not see the word “pearl” on the label and it was sooo iridescent! Way too reflective – I just wanted a texture… oops! Well, I tried some ink on it to dull it and of course the ink rolled off and wouldn’t stay. I figured I needed to paint on something over it to tone it down; not shiny though! I pulled out Ranger Multi Matte and added some distress ink to it. It spread on nicely with a little paintbrush. The effect is still iridescent but no where near as obnoxiously shiny as it was.
The butterfly is from Prima. It started to fall apart when I inked and wet it so I glued the wings to a grungy safety pin and added the jewel back on. It’s hard to see but there is clear Wink of Stella on the butterfly and I added some more gold around the edges of the paper. The key is Tim Holtz.
The metal clock piece, clip, jewel, and metal flower (lower right of the project) are also Tim Holtz. The clock face is Prima chipboard. I placed the photo of my husband’s grandmother on top of a torn section of book page, a doily, and a torn section of newsprint looking paper. These were all inked as well. The photo was actually one that I printed out at home after scanning the original. After layering, I pinched the edges with the clip so the top layers wouldn’t have to be glued. In my mind, gluing the layers would have flattened this area too much and I wanted it to be loose and “fluffy”. I lastly tucked the lace into the side edge of the project and wrapped it gently behind the top of the doily and tucked the other end in the layers of paper. The buttons were just odd ones I had in my stash.
This challenge really inspired me to try to be artistic. I guess that is what mixed media is to me – very free and creative. The end result makes me happy and I am enjoying the satisfaction of finishing something “artsy”. I thought it would make a nice cover for one of my mini albums or journals. I DID it! Thank you for letting me share it with you!